SiteGround Review: The Most Reliable Web Hosting Provider?6 min read
Last Updated on:Reading Time: 5 minutes
SiteGround is a popular web hosting provider, offering many different options when choosing a plan. You can, for example, opt-in for WordPress hosting, cloud hosting and even dedicated hosting.
According to SiteGround, they have a 99.7% client happiness rate, and they list client reviews straight on their site. But can you really trust these reviews? And more importantly; Do they tell the whole story?
In this review of SiteGround, we will follow our standardized review process. This includes looking at important factors, such as the average page load speed from around the world, uptime, and price, before summarizing our end result, and giving an experts opinion on the matter.
|Speed||703 ms Page load time|
|Technical Specs||Unmetered Bandwidth, 10 GB Storage|
|Website Transfer||Free Site Transfer|
|Hosting Plans||Shared, WordPress, Cloud, and Dedicated|
|Apps||WordPress, Joomla, drupal|
|Support||E-mail, 24/7 Live Chat|
|Pricing||Starting at $3.95, Renews at $11.95/mo|
Fast Page Load Time – 703ms
Fast page load times are critical for any website really, especially business ones. We have all noticed how some websites are just really, really slow and how annoying that can be, and you wouldn’t want that to be your website or brand, would you?
On top of that, Page speed has been a ranking factor on google ever since 2010 and according to Sean Work, 40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.
It is simply devastating for both your ranking and traffic, not to talk about the user experience if you have slow load times.
Because of this significance, we have gone ahead and set up a temporary WordPress site, and tested the page speed of it from 8 different locations, across the globe:
Note: We used the SiteGround StartUp plan, with Europe as a server location.
|Location||First Visit||Repeat Visit|
|New York, US||1.3 sec||782 ms|
|Seattle, US||2.0 sec||719 ms|
|Amsterdam, NL||596 ms||537 ms|
|London, UK||490 ms||431 ms|
|Paris, France||731 ms||521 ms|
|Tokyo, Japan||4.6 sec||929 ms|
|Brisbane, Australia||2.8 sec||1.1 sec|
Among the Best Uptime Record: 99.99%
Uptime is among the most important merit when choosing and rating a web host.
Due to its importance, we have gone ahead and monitored their uptime during the span of 12 whole months. SiteGround seems to perform among the best in this area and easily out beats other providers, such as Hostinger. There has been one instance, not even that, of longer downtime.
SiteGround 12-month average statistical uptime:
- March 2020 average uptime: 99.99%
- February 2020 average uptime: 100%
- January 2020 average uptime: 99.93%
- December 2019 average uptime 99.99%
- November 2019 average uptime: 100%
- October 2019 average uptime: 100%
- September 2019 average uptime: 100%
- August 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- July 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- June 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- May 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
- April 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- March 2019 average uptime: 100%
In other words, this means that your website is down on average 8 seconds per day.
Quick information about our monitoring tool:
Our monitoring tool visits the website every minute, every hour, 24/7 a day and reports any downtime before calculating an average at the end of each month. As a result of this, we are able to see it’s true uptime, rather than if we just noticed it manually.
30-day Limited Money-back Guarantee
According to SiteGround’s refund policy, they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on all their shared hosting plans, but only a 15-day guarantee on the cloud, dedicated hosting plans.
It is important to clarify that SiteGround’s money-back guarantee does not include so-called “extras”, or add-ons such as domain names.
Furthermore, the money-back guarantee does not include the renewal of the hosting plan. In other words, the refund policy only applies to new customers.
Good Customer Support Experience
As for support SiteGround provides many different options to get help. They have a knowledge base if you feel like finding the answers to the problem yourself, otherwise, you can call them over the phone or use their 24/7 live chat.
We opted in to try out their live chat and were connected to Stefan D. in under a minute!
The chat was very nice in our opinion and unlike other hosting providers he didn’t try and upsell us as soon as we had a question. The answer was on point, which is a big plus for them. No one wants to keep on nagging someone who’s just beating around the bush.
SiteGrounds’s Pricing & Plan Features Overview
A quick overview of SiteGrounds’s 3 different web hosting plans and features:
- The StartUp plan: This plan starts at $3.95/mo, and renews at $11.95/mo. It can only support 1 website, you can probably tell this by the name. It is suitable for 10 000 visitors per month with unlimited bandwidth, 24/7 support, daily backups, free Cloudflare CDN, free Let’s Encrypt SSL, free unlimited emails & databases, and much more.
- The GrowBig plan: This plan starts at $5.95/mo, and renews at $19.95/mo. In addition to all the features that the StartUp plan includes, you can also host unlimited websites with twice the storage and suitable for 25 000 visitors per month.
- The GoGeek plan: This plan starts at $11.95/mo, and renews at $34.95/mo. It includes all the features in the above two plans, but with extra storage and monthly visitors accounting to 30 GB storage and 100 000 monthly visitors.
Heres an overview of their so-called “extras” pricing:
- Domain: pricing starts from $13.95/mo
- “Hidden” fees: there is a setup fee on the monthly plans, $14.95. They also charge more when the billing period renews.
All plans also come with:
- Free one-click installation of Apps such as WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc..
Summary & Do we recommend SiteGround?
Yes, we recommend SiteGround.
+ Uptime over 12 months (99,99%)
+ Average page-load (703 ms)
+ Datacenters in US, EU & Asia
+ 24/7 Live Chat Support
+ Free SSL-Certificate
+ Free CDN
– Higher Renewal price
SiteGround web hosting services above-average speed and above all, great uptime. Furthermore their entry-level plan, StartUp starts at just $3.95/mo. Although it is great pricing to start with, it can become a little bit expensive later on once the renewal kicks in at $11.95/mo, minimum.
They also have a 30-day money-back guarantee on their web hosting plans, hence if it doesn’t meet up to your expectations you’re free to cancel the plan with no risk.